At Spotswood, we are passionate about shining a Gospel light locally and globally by partnering with missionaries who are making disciples.
Scroll down to learn about our partners, their prayer needs, and how you could participate in the incredible work they’re doing.
Missionaries: Matthew Lahey (and family)
Prayer needs from the Laheys:
• Open doors into our community: Because Kilbride is extremely residential, we are seeking the Lord’s face to open doors to meeting new people.
• The KCC Core Team: We are on the cusp of building a solid core team but need a few more people to round it out. Pray that the Lord would move people to join.
• Infrastructure: In our culture and context, people associate ‘church’ with four walls and a steeple. Doing church in a community as we are, or even a home church, is completely foreign and in recognizable to many people in our community and province. A building is never the end goal but owning a building would help immensely to minister to residents of Kilbride.
• Finances: We know the Lord is the God of cattle on a thousand hills. His resources are infinite. But, building a church plant requires finances and individuals to sow into God’s work here in Kilbride. Pray that the Lord would bring forward partners who could provide, not only prayer support, but financial support.
• Trust: Church planting for us is a long, slow road and sometimes it can be really discouraging not seeing visible growth or not seeing how God is building His Kingdom here in Kilbride. Pray that we would have this unwavering resilience and trust – the same trust that the flock had as the Good Shepherd lead them in Psalm 23; whether into green pasture, beside still waters or through life’s darkest valleys.
Guinea, West Africa
Missionaries: Brian and Emily Shores (and family)
Prayer needs from the Shores:
• Pray for our team during a transitional time. We have two units of our team that left this summer, but we have a new couple coming in January. Pray that God would guide us in unity, direction, and wisdom during this next 6 months.
• Pray for new Guinean leaders to join our Yattaya Baptist church plant. The church is slowly growing but we still have a big need for Guineans to step up as leaders in the church.
• Pray for our growing university ministry. We have seen a growing interest in our programs leading to increased spiritual conversations with nonbelievers and bible studies with believers. This has been highlighted recently by 4 nonbelievers asking for a Bible so they can continue reading during the summer vacation.
Missionaries: Carlton and Cornelia Walker
Prayer needs from the Walkers:
• The Japan Mission asked us to return to the place we started our journey in 1984 to join a new team of young missionaries. Pray that we can be the coaches and mentors that we desire to be.
• Pray for our landlady who lives behind us. She has mentioned several times how grateful she is that we are living in this house and can be here at this time. Pray we can show Christ’s love to her and her adult son.
• Pray for wisdom as we make new connections with churches in the city. Our team are attending three different Baptist churches and there’s opportunities for learning how Japanese do church.
• An old friend has opened up an opportunity for us and our team to be the English club sponsor on a Christian university campus. Pray for the students who come weekly that we have various opportunities to be salt and light to and share who Jesus is in our lives.